-->

Sunday, May 13, 2012

LAB HOMME A/H '12 and 5 minutes with Chris Cheng

source: all photos by Anya Stoliar

Another great show from the team LAB. I fell in love with the pops of colour against beautiful streamlined silhouettes and vintage props. G and I attempted to eat Beach Haus's entire fruit platter and had a few sneaky conversations with the models backstage, one of whom taught us the awesome power of grapefruit juice on the human stomach. My new leather jacket came out to play after retiring my old true and trusted of the last 7 years.


I also got to steal Chris away for a few questions:

Anya: Can you share some background information on what inspired you design and how you started LAB?
Chris: It's very cliche, but LAB stemmed from my own need for quality minimalist inspired clothing. Minimal, thoughtful, comfort and Australian made.

A: How would you describe your design aesthetic and your inspirations?
C: Inspiration comes mainly from European silhouettes and Japanese styling.

A: Can you talk us through preparing for a fashion show?
C: Many months of research culminating to a narrative, a story. I'm old fashioned in the sense I'm a fan of intimate salon style presentations where you can hear the fabrics, see the clothes and models, how the fabrics move. We are all story tellers, this is my story and what i think is an interesting next step, that's all.

A: Do you have any advice for people trying to break into the fashion industry?
C: We each have our own path, so follow your heart. I don't believe in luck, but effort. The biggest difference between good and great is the intention and how much heart we put in. Merci beaucoup!

No comments:

Post a Comment